Did you know:
- There are an estimated 5.7 million people in South Africa living with HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS/WHO report, 2008); comparatively, there are 17 500 in Australia
- There are an estimated 1.4 million AIDS orphans in South Africa (UNICEF report, 2006)
- The prevalence of HIV/AIDS among pregnant women in KwaZulu-Natal – 37.4% (South African Department of Health, 2006)
- In some villages, the HIV/AIDS infection rate is as high as 66%
- The cost of one Little Traveller doll, $5, is enough to feed a family of four for two days
- $25 will fund a bed in Hillcrest’s respite unit for one day
For more information about the HIV/AIDS epidemic in South Africa, see our links page.